Thursday, July 14, 2011

Brie Bellerive, French Brie for the Masses

Some time ago I reviewed Camembert Bellerive, and after much general babbling I got around to reviewing what is actually a fairly decent cheese, with the reservation that it's not what it would be in France. Not that that should be surprising. 
Today then you can guess what is to become of Brie Bellerive, the brie analogue made by the same folks. Still from France. Still pasteurized. Maybe a little more disappointing than it's brother Camembert.
Origin: France
Milk: Cow, pastuerized
Rennet: Animal
Affinage: A few weeks
Notes: One of the more interesting and, to be honest more telling, alterations they made was to take the usual Brie size and, well, give it the old Shrink-ray. In fact it's the same size as the Camembert, which is supposed to be small. This shouldn't affect the flavor in any significant way but I will say it fills you the customer in on what angle they're going for. Money money money money. Money. 
Thoughts: This Brie is on the more pungent end of your staple bries, with a rind that gives a defined tangy bite but nothing unpleasant or overpowering. The paste itself is rather mild and on the whole is a solid cheese but nothing special. Those are my exact words from my tasting notes and especially now that I've tried true French Bries I wouldn't put it any differently. 


Caution
Once you've tried the true French stuff there's no going back. I'm doomed to not eat French Brie after I leave this exchange program until I make it back to Europe. The horror.   

1 comment: