Monday, August 8, 2011

Midnight Moon, Out Of This World

It is that time again, when I make terrible puns in the title and am too tired to go back and filter them out.
Actually, it's the time when I get to review a cheese that comes from one of my favorite creameries; Cypress Grove. I've already broke the news about their exquisite creamline through the lamb Gouda Lamb Chopper, and today we have a cheese that is, in my mind, even better.
Midnight Moon was first shown to me by a fellow cheese lover at a cheese party in Boulder, but little did I know that it was in fact crafted with love an ocean away in Holland. It is one of my all time favorite cheeses, indeed one of the best goat cheeses ever, an assessment I would defend to the bitter end. 
Origin: Netherlands
Milk: Goat, pasteurized
Rennet: Vegetable
Affinage: Somewhere between 4 and 7 months, the folks at the dairy weren't too keen to share their secrets.
Notes: They import this stuff as fast as it's made, but it still can't keep up with demand. That. Good.
Thoughts: There is not enough to be said about this cheese. The flavor starts off pretty mild but quickly propels itself to a very meaty very nutty delight. The cheese is firm but incredibly creamy, and there are the little crunches that are so great. The flavor of the goat cheese is there from the start and grows and grows as the cheese breaks down in your mouth into tangy perfection and the meaty tones come though like a symphony of flavored delight. Everything about this cheese works and the aftertaste leaves you dying for more, just an incredible goat cheese. If I could keep a wheel of this on hand it would never be far from my plate. 

Random Thought to Further Burden You With
I might just buy a wheel of this, just to never have to rely on timely import shipments again. If I do, you know where the party is: Casa de Functioning Cheese Addict  

No comments:

Post a Comment