Monday, August 22, 2011

Ca Ru Blu, Every Time I Think I'm Out the Pull Me Back In

I stumbled upon this blue in a local cheese store in Regensburg, and on the off chance I hit upon gold. Gold, Jerry!
I couldn't track down too too much info on this particular cheese but here's what you need to know. It's delicious and you should track it down. Track it right down and eat it. Ladies, Gentlemen, and all People of the Internet; Ca Ru Blú.
Origin: Italy
Milk: Cow, unpasteurized
Rennet: Animal
Affinage: 3-5 months
Notes: This blue, already a delicious bite, comes standard with a wicked rind. That mouth-watering covering you see in the picture here is a mixture of rum and roasted coffee beans. It is a specialty of the Südtirol Provence, and I can see why.
Thoughts: The bold appearance of this cheese is what first tips you off to the impressive flavor. The intense rind dares you to give it a try, and what begins as a fully creamy texture and flavor quickly builds into something more. The minerality of this blue is perfectly balanced to deliver a sharp and power flavor with a bite at the end but no unpleasant aftertaste or grit. Eaten with or without the rind this blue is both complex and powerful, a delight.


A Note To My Dear Readers
As of the posting of today's cheese I am recently back at school, in class and so forth. I'll be keeping the posts up as much as possible but I beg your understanding and patience if there's a slip-up or so. Do not fear, however, the cheese will flow.  

No comments:

Post a Comment