Tuesday, June 7, 2011

A Glorious Discovery

So this isn't, perhaps, so much a tip as it is a suggestion. In my adventures in Germany I found I could purchase goat's milk by the liter in the supermarket... which pretty much blew my US grocery-store accustomed mind. I'm sure there are places to purchase it in the US as well, and probably even better than the ultra-pasteurized stuff I found, but I'd never seen anything like it before coming here. It took me a while to be bothered to actually buy some, despite being a cheese fanatic I really don't drink a lot of milk these days despite having been brought up with it practically IV-dripped into me.
When I finally got around to buying it (it's also quite a bit more expensive than cow's milk... but then if I'll spend $40/lb (€60/kg) for cheese I think I can splurge a little on a carton of milk) I was filled with hope and wonder, like a kid wanting to drink a glass full of melted ice cream and taste his favorite flavors. I couldn't say why I sprung for the 3.5% milk, maybe it was years of only drinking skim milk that tasted more like water, maybe it's all the weight jokes, maybe I just live life on the wild side sometimes. Heard of the E. Coli epidemic in Germany right now? Yeah, I had a sandwich at a restaurant with lettuce on it. Crazy.
Anyhow, turns out this stuff is delicious. Sure, the ultra-pasteurization and strict regulations mean that the beginning of the flavor is nearly indiscernible from the sweet, creamy flavor of cow's milk, but towards the end the flavor that any goat cheese lover waits for appears. Tangy, grassy, and just tickling the tastebuds, this Ziegenmilch is a lovely departure from boring old cow's milk. No, this is not a milk blog. No, I am not a milk addict. No, I am probably not at all qualified to be judging, reviewing, comparing, or suggesting milks... but hey now that you're reading this I'm going to go ahead and suggest you find yourself some goat's milk anyways. If you can get past the mental hurdle of eating goat (sheep, yak, buffalo) cheese, then surely you must be at least a little curious as to how the milk tastes. Right? Not just me? I've yet to try sheep's milk but I now have even more motivation to find it, and chances are you could purchase any of these wild and crazy milks from local dairies... so search them out near you and make some new friends.


Caution
Like chocolate milk? Hot chocolate? Chai? Try them with goat's milk instead and fall in love all over again.  

Also, and strangely enough actually in warning for once; beware of horse milk. At the very least, beware of horse milk that may or may not be fermented. Russia, I'm looking at you. Buh.....

1 comment:

  1. So at Sprouts you can definitely buy goat's milk. The lactose intolerant were pretty happy to have that as an alternative. I imagine that means that Sunflower sells it as well, and it might be possible to find it in the Whole Foods stores around too. It's not as obscure as you might think but I can't remember how much it cost. Definitely more.

    ReplyDelete